Frizzy Hair, Its Causes And Treatment – Frizz Off!
14 April 2016
What is frizzy hair? What causes frizz and how can it be prevented? allbeauty lifts the lid on the dreaded frizz factor…
You can shop products for frizzy hair online at allbeauty.
Ok So What IS Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair is hair that’s too dry. Anyone can suffer from frizz, but if you have naturally wavy or curly locks you’ll probably suffer most. Here’s the science: look at your hair under a microscope and you’ll see the cuticle which resembles bark on a tree. It’s these scales lifting up that give the appearance of frizz (see our snazzy tute below):
- The hair cuticle (outer layer) is made up of tiny scales, like bark on a tree
- On smooth, moisturised hair, the scales lie flat
- On dry or humid hair the scales stand up = frizz!
Great, I Feel Educated. But What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Usually a combination of factors are to blame, but the main culprits are having dry hair that’s exposed to humidity or moisture (such as salty sweat from a workout), brushing, heat styling and using the wrong products.
The Bit I Want To Know – How Can I Prevent Frizzy Hair?
Well here’s the good news: preventing frizzy hair is 100% possible. Here’s how to get frizz-free hair:
- Dry your hair with a t-shirt or let it air dry. A towel or hairdryer can cause damage and dryness. If you must use a heat styler, use an anti-frizz heat protector such as Redken One United.
- Change how you brush. Use your fingers or a dampened wide tooth comb to tame hair. If you love to brush then a natural boar bristle brush such as one by Mason & Pearson is designed to be super-smoothing and anti-frizz.
- Switch to an anti-frizz haircare routine. Yep this one’s a no-brainer, but with hundreds of products on the market to tame frizzy hair, why aren’t you using them?! At the very least you should be using anti-frizz shampoo and anti-frizz conditioner, followed by a cold rinse under the shower (ouch but it works). Two great ranges we love at allbeauty are Kerastase Discipline and Redken Frizz Dismiss.
- Use anti-frizz styling products before you head out and carry an anti-frizz smoothing serum or cream for afternoon touch-ups. If you’re scared of oily hair, don’t be. Styling products for frizzy hair are lightweight and non-greasy such as KMS California Tame Frizz Oil and provide long-lasting effects.
- Treat hair with deep conditioning moisture masks and oil treatments – the more moisture you can lavish into the hair, the less frizz you’ll have. Going to the beach? Wash hair and apply conditioner, then tie your hair up without rinsing. Hair will be protected from salt water and chlorine meaning when you DO rinse you’ll have smoother, glossier locks.
You can shop over 300 products for frizzy hair, right here at allbeauty.