allbeauty How To: The Updo
26 February 2021
Stuck in a hair styling rut? We’ve all been there – especially when there’s nowhere particularly special to go at the moment – but sometimes taking a moment to make your hair look special for the day is JUST the tonic you need! We spoke to our friends at the allbeauty Southampton salon to get their expertise on three simple ways to put your hair up at home with flair.
Why the Updo? This is one of the best ways to get your hair up and out of the way quickly without compromising on style! An Updo involves arranging your hair so that it is on top of your head or pointing upwards. Of course, Updos can be as simple as a ponytail, however they can vary in difficulty and look depending on the occasion – if you’ve had to plan your look for a wedding, prom or special occasion, then you’ve probably considered some elaborate updo styling in the past.
These ideas are for the here and now, whether you need your hair up to focus more closely on a task or want to get your hair under control before you head out on a windswept walk. Maybe you just want to add a touch of chic to your overall look and emphasise some of your key facial features – there is an Updo for everyone.
So if you’re looking for some new looks to try on your kids or for a way to pep up your everyday hair look for your Zoom meeting (or trip to the supermarket… big excitement, we know) read on for our steps. We’ve included a photo guide too!
These looks have been put together (and modelled) by Laura, a beauty therapist from the allbeauty Southampton salon. Let us know if you try these at home by tagging us on Instagram @allbeautyhq !
THE TWISTED UPDO
This twisted do looks more complicated than it is, but is very simple to achieve! By braiding your hair, you can create a different texture for this low bun.
1. Divide your hair into two low pigtails and secure each with a covered hair elastic.
2. Twist each pigtail and secure the ends.
3. Bring the twists together at the back and tuck in ends, securing with pins as needed.
LOW ROLLED BUN
Nothing says effortless chic more than a low rolled bun. This is a perfect excuse to use any decorative pins lying around to add a touch of Gatsby-esque glam to your hairstyle. We know that the phrase “Business at the front, party at the back” was originally coined for the mullet, but we think it’s a phrase which works well here too!
1. Pull hair back into a low ponytail and secure with a covered band.
2. Make a gap in the hair at the base above the hair band.
3. Pull the ponytail through this gap from the front to create a twist.
4. Continue to do this until all the hair is rolled up. Secure with decorative pins for added glamour!
THE MESSY BUN
Ever wondered how to get the perfect messy bun? It’s a question we ask ourselves quite frequently as we know there can often be a fine line between the Bun Of Dreams and what we in the office commonly refer to as… The Trunchball. But do not fear, because Laura is here to show you her top tricks and tips to nail this look!
1. Pull the hair up into a high ponytail, secure with a band but DON’T pull all the hair through the band.
2. You should have a ‘loop’ of hair, with the ends up close to the band.
3. Secure little sections of this ‘loop’ with pins, creating a voluminous bun.
4. Pull out small sections if required to soften the look even more, and spray with hairspray to ensure your messy bun stays in place!
There you have it – three simple ways to create a perfect Updo! What are you waiting for…just don’t forget to make sure you have your hairspray and kirby grips to hand! Another top tip to make your hair easier to work with is to add a touch of dry shampoo to the roots – just make sure you brush out any residue before you start styling.