“I WANT CANDY”
25 January 2021
Love Hearts and Chocolates are strongly associated with Valentine’s Day.
Cocoa beans have been linked with longing and desire since the days of the Aztecs. In Japan, it is customary for women to give chocolate to men on the 14th February. On 14th March, new gifts are bought for the original giver. Typically the return gift has to be around three times the worth of the gift that was given – there’s even a phrase for this sanbai gaeshi (三倍返し) which means Triple The Return!
In the USA, Conversation Hearts originated as a mix of medicine and sugar paste in 1847, before becoming purely sugar based and sold as candy. In 1866, inspired by the growing trend of Valentine’s Day cards, a brother of the company found a way to emboss words into the lozenges.
Of course, in the UK, where would we be without our Swizzels LOVE HEARTS? First introduced in 1954, their recipe and edible ink remains a classified secret! No matter our age, there will always be a special place in our hearts for these fizzy pastel confections!
In this gift guide, you’ll find our self-styled selection box – these sugary sweet gifts are a perfect alternative to traditional chocolates! Just make sure of course, that you don’t eat them…
1. Mugler’s Angel Nova has the sweet decadent notes of a Kir Royale. Launched in 2020, its notes are Raspberry, Litchi, Damask Rose, Akigalawood and Benzoin. What makes this little number even sweeter? It’s refillable!
2. You may have noticed… we just can’t stop talking about Anastasia Beverly Hills this year! Ultra pigmented and silky smooth, these eyeshadow singles are our guilty pleasure. Sold individually, you can pick and choose your perfect combination of shades! Pictured here are the aptly named Baby Cakes, Pink Champagne, Truffle Glitter and Hot Chocolate.
3. Looking for a weightless matte lip colour that conditions and nurtures? M.A.C Powder Kiss lipstick in Sexy But Sweet has a pop of pink that we can’t resist. Cushiony, lightweight… we think love might be in the air!
4. Boss The Scent For Her is a seductive combination of Honeyed Peach & Freesia, a heart of Osmanthus Flower and a base note of Roasted Cocoa Beans. A Gourmand fragrance with a sophisticated touch!
5. Summer seems like a distant dream, but it really comes to the fore in Prada Candy Florale , a romantic infusion that has us reminiscing of the delicious kind of sorbet you can only find on holiday. We dare you not to fall in love with this cocktail of Limoncello Sorbet, Peony, Benzoin, Musk, Caramel and Honey.
6. Are you tempted to unwrap this confection? Viktor & Rolf’s Bonbon has a sultry heart of caramel! Described as an indulgent sweet treat in a bottle, we can picture this on Marie Antoinette’s side table – surrounded by macarons and elaborate chocolate boxes with bold pink bows, of course!
7. This Valentines, don’t have a Heart Of Glass! Go for glossy glass lips instead with M.A.C Lipglass. Layer this M.A.C Lipglass in Candy Box over Sexy But Sweet for the ultimate saccharine Pink Lip statement.
Do you have a love that’s tough but sweet? Shop their gift from our Valentine Edit here.
(Thanks to Bow Wow Wow for this guide’s title inspiration – I Want Candy! Released in 1982, we fell in love with this again in Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette)