Meet the Brand: Odylique
10 May 2020
Like any company who wants to truly make a difference Odylique has a great story…
A sensitive issue
It started with Margaret. Thirty years ago, Margaret Weeds – Nottingham native, and qualified in herbal medicine and aromatherapy – was suffering with very, very sensitive skin. She wasn’t alone: eczema ran in her family and she and her children were all plagued with sore, dry, itchy patches. It being the late 80s, conventional cosmetics or prescription skincare were the only real option available. These were often packed with petroleum, artificial additives and other skin irritants which simply didn’t suit her allergy-prone skin.
A natural solution
Confident that she could find answers through natural ingredients, Margaret began tinkering with skin-friendly concoctions. Armed with her exceptional herbal knowledge and belief in the capabilities of nature, she started experimenting using only organic herbs, plant oils and natural active ingredients that were kind to super-sensitive skin. The result was a small range of gentle, effective, delightfully caring formulas that worked wonders on the family’s collective skin complaints. On the strength of these results, Margaret and her daughter Abi launched Essential Care in 2003, a company with a passion for the power of genuine natural skincare.
Keeping it in the family
“Essential Care” was going well, but Margaret and Abi knew they could do more. By 2014, after a decade of bringing certified organic skincare and (the world’s first) Fair Trade make-up to the world, they re-christened themselves “Odylique”. Pronounced “Oh-dih-leek” (for those who struggle with their French linguistics!), the name is derived from a phrase that means “power of nature” and it suits perfectly. They’re still a family-owned company run by Margaret’s daughter Abi and a dedicated team of skin-loving experts. Odylique found its home amidst the rolling fields of Suffolk, where visitors are welcome to enjoy the botanical gardens. Every single one of Odylique’s products is handmade there. This makes them fairly unique in the skincare world and able to promise the highest quality and freshness for everything they make. It’s a haven for those seeking care for their sensitive skin.
They love your skin (and the planet)
Odylique was one of the first companies to create certified organic cosmetics and formulate the purest cosmetics possible.
Each and every one of their ingredients has therapeutic credentials. There are a few ways in which Odylique makes this happen:
- By using actives – herbs and essential oils – in therapeutic concentrations.
- Plant oils must be virgin and cold-pressed so that they have their full antioxidant vitamin-content intact (this more actively nourishes the skin and protects it from premature ageing).
- They don’t do synthetic chemicals. Ever.
- Everything is certified to strict Soil Association organic standards (those guys are strict, trust us)
- They leave out lanolin, wheat, dairy & soya derivatives, salicylic acid, peanut oil, common allergen tree nut oils and more…all the things that can upset sensitive skin.
- They NEVER test on animals. Instead, we test on human volunteers who have sensitive and allergy-prone skin.
Odylique are big on doing the planet as many favours as possible. As such, they make sure that their raw materials suppliers and all of their distributors follow the no-testing-on-animals rule, and they go out of their way to adhere to Fair Trade standards and use responsible, sustainable packaging.
Odylique’s Top 3…ok, 4 must-haves
- Creamy Coconut Cleanser – this organic face cleanser is gentle but highly effective. The skin-conditioning creamy blend of extra virgin olive & coconut oils gently but thoroughly lifts away make-up, skin impurities and airborne dirt. Organic rose water and a subtle trio of pure essential oils calm sensitive skin and complete a thorough natural cleanse. This is a non-comedogenic cleanser, detergent-free and soothing for sensitive skin, dry skin, oily skin, normal or mature skin types! It is often used on skin prone to rosacea.
- Superfruit Concentrate – this organic face oil is a blend of super-strength 100% organic rosehip oil, sea buckthorn and pomegranate, giving an exceptional synergy of 5 omega fatty acids, plus antioxidant vitamins and nature’s miracle phytosterols, to target dry skin and all aspects of skin ageing. Use this super serum daily or as needed to boost moisture, cell renewal and collagen synthesis for smooth, instantly radiant skin.
- Gentle Herb Shampoo – this herbal shampoo will bring shine and vitality back naturally to even the most sensitive scalp. A 100% natural, certified organic, vegan shampoo – the first shampoo that ever achieved Soil Association approval.
It is free from all sulphates (including SLS, ALS, sodium coco sulphate), silicone, salt, fragrance and artificial preservatives.
- Black Eye Liner – this organic eyeliner is the first eye pencil certified to Soil Association AND Fairtrade standards! Intensely rich mineral eye-liner pencil colour combines with organic jojoba, sunflower, shea butter and calendula for a rich, smooth texture that glides on effortlessly to define and nourish the delicate eye area, without tugging or pulling.