Talking Winter Beauty & Maskne With The allbeauty Salon
27 October 2020
allbeauty is privileged to have two highly experienced salon teams based in Guernsey and Southampton. So when thinking about Winter Beauty (and especially on tips for how to deal with the dreaded Maskne) we knew exactly where to go for some guidance!
We sat down with Rachel, Manager of the Southampton Salon to get the lowdown on her top tips for Winter Beauty.
Rachel, tell us a bit more about yourself!
“I’m the Store and Salon Manager of allbeauty Southampton where I manage a team of four therapists.
We sell a large range of fragrance, from well known brands to exclusive niche ranges. We also sell skincare products, nail care and make up. I believe that our well-being is hugely important (especially in these times) and beauty and fragrance can have a huge impact on this. To this end, I love being able to provide care and advice to customers in store.
I am trained with The Fragrance Foundation and hold The Fragrance Foundation Diploma with Honours.
I really love the whole story and science of fragrance and how effective and important the whole olfactory experience is.
In my spare time I design and sew my own clothes – from making the patterns to the final stitch. Definitely my happy place!”
Speaking about what makes you happy, what are your favourite things about Winter? Are there any beauty challenges you typically face?
“Winter is fast approaching and I can’t wait!
My favourite things about winter are bundling up in cosy, warm clothes and going for long walks on crisp, bright winter days. Followed by large mugs of steaming hot chocolate! Or glasses of red, sitting by the fire in a country pub!
But, the Autumn and Winter months mean our skins are assaulted by colder, windy and rainy weather and by going from heated cars to centrally heated homes, workplaces and shops. It’s a lot for our faces to deal with – especially with the added requirement of wearing a face covering.“
What’s your top recommendation for keeping skin hydrated?
“My Must-Have for keeping my skin hydrated and radiant throughout the colder months is Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil.
This beautiful golden oil is perfect for adding a glow to dehydrated, lacklustre skin (and don’t forget, ANY skin type can be dehydrated!) Just apply a few drops to damp skin after cleansing every evening to revitalise, rehydrate and soften your skin.
I love this because it does exactly what it says … and it smells gorgeous! A real treat every evening!”
Speaking of scent… what’s your top Winter fragrance?
“My perfect winter fragrance has got to be Tom Ford Black Orchid Eau De Parfum.
This is an oriental floral fragrance – rich, creamy and luxurious – that envelops you in it’s warmth.
It contains notes of incense, amber, vanilla, dark chocolate and vetiver, with a woody base of patchouli and sandalwood. A true Winter scent!”
Rachel’s Tips on Maskne
We all need to be wearing face masks to protect ourselves and others during this pandemic, but the skin irritation, or ‘Maskne’, they can cause is definitely an unwanted side-effect! And with the added stress of winter on its way, here are some tips to help minimise these problems:
• Try not to wear foundation! This can lead to clogged pores when you are wearing a face mask. If you like some coverage, choose a very light base such as a tinted moisturiser – Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser SPF 20 is a good choice.
• Go one step further than just washing your face. Always double cleanse at the end of the day to prevent blocked pores – Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm is perfect for this and importantly comes with its own cleansing cloth! Massage the balm into dry skin thoroughly then remove with a warm damp flannel or the cleansing cloth that comes with the balm, rinse the flannel then repeat the whole routine once more.
• Tone and freshen skin after cleansing, night and morning – Caudalie Vinopure Clear Skin Purifying Toner will do the trick beautifully in the morning and evening. It really leaves your skin feeling beautifully fresh!
• Moisturise at night after cleansing to replenish, using a dedicated night cream like Caudalie Resveratrol-Lift firming night cream.
• This mini Caudalie Beauty Elixir is ideal for spritzing on your face throughout the day and comes in a convenient size for when you’re on the go.
• Once a week, try a mini facial treatment at home by following the above cleansing routine. Set aside some extra time to really give your skin a good facial massage, followed by the use of a deep cleansing clay mask such as the Emma Hardie Amazing Face Purifying Pink Clay Detox Mask to target any blemishes. Emma Hardie’s mask contains Australian Pink Clay to improve the skin’s levels of moisture and Moringa Seed Oil, rich in vitamins C and E to provide your skin with antioxidants.
• Try to minimise how often you touch your mask and face throughout the day.
• Wash hands thoroughly before and after removal of your mask – and regularly throughout the day!
• Change and wash your mask frequently! Enough said!
Shop all Winter Beauty